Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Witches and Broomsticks: Girls' Night Out

On the Friday before Halloween, my best friend and her mom dragged me to an event in downtown Tracy. I was a bit apprehensive about it, since it's Tracy, but I'd never gone to any community events before. For $18, you get a goodie bag, access to vendor booths, appetizers, wine and dancing with a live DJ. It seemed interesting, so I thought, "Why not?" I didn't have any other plans for Halloween.

What we got was a reusable bag with crappy old straight ladies magazines and coupons for stores I'll never go to, a nifty wine glass with the logo "Witches and Broomsticks", two drink tickets and a chance to watch old straight soccer moms out having fun. What was really cool was seeing all the different witches' hats. It must've been a thing, because almost everyone had decorated a witch's hat with all kinds of decorations. I saw one covered in cobwebs, one covered in alphabet letters (she must've been a teacher), and even one with flashing lights. Had I known, I would've made my own too.

Still... The vendors weren't very exciting. There was one where they had bracelets which could be opened up to be used as table-top purse hangers, and my best friend and her mom bought some. Otherwise, there weren't very many vendors and what was left wasn't very good. All the tables were in a tent which was SO CRAMPED with women. And the chatter was so high-pitched, it was almost giving me a headache. In the middle of the tent were tables of appetizers and the wine. Well, the wine was local from Lodi but the only two options were Chardonnay and "red wine" (I didn't catch what the blend was). Needless to say, we didn't use our second drink tickets. The appetizers were average, like they were bought at Costco. The DANCING. Ahahahahahaha.... That was hilarious. They used the lobby of the Grand Theatre in downtown Tracy and put in a live DJ. The DJ was terrible, they kept the lights on and it was so intereasting seeing what people pass off as dancing in Central Valley. I did happen to grab a Sam Adams Octoberfest at the bar.

It didn't take us long to realize that the event was for WOMEN (not ladies, or older girls) in Central Valley to have the chance to get out of the humdrum of their boring lives and have a space to go out with their girlfriends. It was obvious that the crowd was was too old for us. Hell, it was too old for my best friend's mom! There weren't any cute young girls there. There were a few women our age, but they were soccer-mom status. We had a couple of laughs at the whole thing, but ditched it for Famous Dave's.

I'd never been to Famous Dave's before, though my parents in Vegas often get a tray of ribs for parties. There was so much food, and I'm so in love with their corn fritters. The even may have been kind of boo-boo, but the night wasn't a waste. I was able to hang out with my best friend which we haven't done in a long time. And next time, I'll be a little bit more picky about the community events I go to. I'll try something in the Bay Area, and stay away from Central Valley events. I mean, I left it for a couple reasons, and lack of cool stuff to do is one of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment