Tuesday, November 15, 2011

"An aaaaaaarchery contest...?"

A month or so ago I was browsing GroupOn, and I saw a 2-for-1 deal on archery lessons in Daly City. I'd always wanted to learn archery. I really don't know why I'm so facinated with a bow and arrow. Maybe it's because I watched Disney's 'Robin Hood' a lot when I was a kid, and I love 'Prince of Thieves', and I can quote 'Men in Tights' in its entirety. And though Batman is my favorite superhero, I'd say Green Arrow is my second favorite. Still, I never really considered myself a Robin Hood fan, but I admired his skill. Once when I was little, I even made a bow and arrow out of a hanger and yarn. And it worked! If very crudely. I was so proud of myself, then I was embarrassed of it so I threw it away.

I had only shot a bow and arrow once at Science Camp in 5th grade, for about 20 minutes. But boy did it stick with me. When I was older and living in Vegas, I drove across town to the only Sports Authority at the time to buy a youth bow and arrow set. I stood there for about 45 minutes trying to talk myself into buying it. I wanted it so badly, but it was little and I wasn't sure if it was worth the $25. If I was going to learn archery, I wanted to learn the right way.

Now here was my chance. I grabbed my favorite spontaneous buddy, Ronna, and I took her to Pacifica Archery for lessons as her birthday gift.
I had such a blast. It didn't take us long to learn the basics of form and how to shoot. We were only shooting at a target about 10 yards away, but once I started getting the hang of it, then I was able to really concentrate on what works for me and personalize my own shooting style. At times, I was so into my own world in my mind that I wasn't always paying attention to what my friend was saying.

We had our fun, then parted ways because she was going to a Sharks game that night. But shooting that afternoon just left me wanting more. Pacifica Archery had pretty good rates, and its walkable from BART so I don't have to drive across the bridge. It's a sport that I could get into and do it by myself or with others. I've been reading up a lot online and plan on going back to shoot a few more times. I found other ranges that I could try too. I did find online that Oakland Hills has an outdoor range where you can go hiking, and shooting with your own equipment. My goal is to one day be good enough to have my equipment, take my girlfriend up there for a hiking & shooting picnic.

Of course, Mady rolled her eyes at me and said, "Just add that to all of the other things you want to do..." Admittedly, I have a long "honey do" list around the house, plus things I have on my own. Well, we'll see. I'd love to learn archery and have it a permanent part of my life. It doesn't have to be my priority, but I'd like it to be my active physical hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment